Sunday, April 5, 2009

Red Walnut and Banana Bean Bars



1 can kidney beans (15 oz), rinsed and drained
1/4 cup organic sugar
1 very ripe medium banana
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup brown rice
2 tablespoons flax seed
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
a generous pinch of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 and oil a 8 by 8 baking dish, or Pyrex pan of similar size.

In a very dry Blendtec, place brown rice and flax seed. Press the speed up button until the level reaches 9; allow Blendtec to run full 50 second cycle. Add the remaining ingredients to resultant flour, but first stir the contents of the jar, taking care to get the flour out of the corners of the jar where it may have collected. Speed up again to level 9 and allow to run until smooth and well-blended. Scrape contents of jar into pan, smoothing with the spoon or spatula as necessary. Bake for 26 minutes. Allow to cool on counter and then refrigerate for a few hours before enjoying.

This was inspired by Celine's recipe on Have Cake, Will Travel several weeks ago. I have long been infatuated with the Black Bean Brownie recipe that started this all and have been keen on trying some kind of baked good where I could grind the grain myself and then mix it all at one go---Celine's ingredients included stuff like brown rice flour and nut butter that one can make in the Blendtec. I wanted to use fresh fruit, though, instead of preserves, so various experiments ensued. I was always surprised at how thick and sticky the batter seemed and Celine recommended replacing some of the flax with more flour; on a whim I decided to switch the amounts of flax versus brown rice flour entirely. I think it did help, but feel free to tinker with it yourself. The kidney beans were kind of a whim also; I had a super ripe banana that needed using and thought I would give this one more try and kidney beans were the only cooked beans on hand. I loved the flavor, especially the cinnamon that came through.

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! But it must be asked: Can I make it if I don't have a Blendtec, or am I hopelessly left out in the cold?

    PS. Have you thought of trying to get Blendtec to advertise on this page, and pay you the big dollars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh. Check out Have Cake, Will Travel for the inspiration, she uses a food processor and I think it's actually easier to get the batter out of the jar. You can't grind your own flour in the food processor, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look fantastic! I'm adding you on twitter, if that's okay.
    and I agree with you: bean-based goods always taste better with age.

    ReplyDelete