Sunday, April 12, 2009

Reduced for Quick Sale Meets Farmer's Market Smoothie




If I have one weakness as a shopper, it's reduced for quick sale produce. I have no qualms about eating a bruised and even slimy pear, a slightly wrinkled bell pepper, and I love eating overripe bananas out of hand. The vast majority of the produce I purchase comes from the farmer's market or the local co-op, and I aim for in season and local as much as possible. But the reduced for quick sale produce rack at the local grocery store sometimes offers foods I can't resist. In this case it was a lumpy cantalope and a couple bunches of small red bananas.

half a medium cantalope, cubed
1/4 pound of green leaf lettuce
1/4 pound of cos lettuce
one medium navel orange, peeled and segments separated
3 ripe small red bananas (or one large regular banana)

Blend until smooth.

I'm not a huge fan of the cantalope flavor, so I tossed in an orange to balance it. After a taste I decided it could use something else, and tossed in a few baby bananas. Sweet and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment